Coliving is a modern housing concept that has been gaining popularity in recent years. It offers a unique living arrangement where individuals or groups share a living space while enjoying the benefits of community, convenience, and flexibility.
In this blog post, we will explore what coliving is, why coliving spaces are growing in popularity, and why coliving spaces can be great alternatives to other accommodation types.
What is Coliving? Exploring the Benefits of Coliving Spaces
What is Coliving?
Coliving is a housing solution that combines private living spaces with shared communal areas.
It is designed to foster a sense of community, collaboration, and connection among residents, and coliving spaces are typically used by digital nomads who are searching for a sense of community in the places they temporarily call ‘home.’
In a coliving space, people rent their own fully furnished rooms while sharing common areas such as kitchens, living rooms, and coworking spaces.
Coliving spaces often come with a range of amenities and services, including high-speed internet, cleaning services, social events, and access to fitness facilities.
These spaces are carefully designed to promote interaction and create a sense of belonging – some coliving spaces have their own ‘community managers,’ who organise frequent social and networking events.
Typical features of a coliving space include:
- Short term rental agreements without deposits, reference checks, or guarantors
- Bills included
- Fast WiFi
- Dedicated working spaces
- Focus on community and social events
The Benefits of Coliving
Coliving spaces have been experiencing a surge in popularity in recent years for several reasons.
Below are some of the benefits of coliving, which could help to explain its huge growth.
- Community: In a coliving space, residents have the opportunity to connect with like-minded individuals, share experiences, and build meaningful relationships. The sense of community and support network that coliving offers can be invaluable, especially for those who are new to a city or working remotely.
- Convenience: Coliving spaces often provide hassle-free living arrangements, with utilities, maintenance, and other services taken care of. This allows residents to focus on their work, hobbies, or exploring a new city without the stress of managing household tasks.
- Flexibility: Coliving spaces offer flexible lease terms, allowing residents to stay for as short as a few days or as long as several months. This flexibility is particularly attractive to digital nomads and remote workers who value the freedom to move around and explore different cities without being tied down by long-term leases.
- Affordability: Sharing the cost of rent and utilities in a coliving space can significantly reduce living expenses, making it an attractive option for those on a budget. A coliving space often works out cheaper than renting a one-bedroom apartment, and there is also no need to pay the additional 100-200 EUR for a coworking space.
- Networking Opportunities: Coliving spaces often host networking events, workshops, and social activities, providing residents with opportunities to expand their professional and social networks. Whether you’re in the AI, crypto, content creation, or software space, you are bound to find useful connections when you live with members of this community.
- Dedicated workspace: Many coliving spaces offer dedicated coworking areas, allowing residents to work from home while still enjoying the perks (company, ergonomic chairs etc.) of an office environment.
Benefits of Coliving | Final Thoughts
Coliving spaces are revolutionising the ways that people live and work.
They offer a unique living arrangement that combines the privacy of individual living spaces with the benefits of community and convenience.
With their growing popularity, coliving spaces are becoming an attractive alternative to traditional accommodation types, offering affordability, networking opportunities, and a flexible lifestyle.
Whether you’re a digital nomad, remote worker, or simply looking for a more social and flexible living arrangement, coliving might be the perfect choice for you – check out our recommended coliving spaces on our Destinations page!